Sunday, February 22, 2009

Of all the Gin Joints in all the Towns in all the World...

I love Casablanca. It is such an amazing film. While it has a good story, I appreciate the dialogue the most.


What makes the film so good, however, is one of the supporting characters - Captain Renault.


I have included some of my favorite Captain Renault quotes (and one quote about him).

Annina: Monsieur Rick, what kind of a man is Captain Renault?
Rick: Oh, he's just like any other man, only more so.


Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Captain Renault: I've often speculated why you don't return to America. Did you abscond with the church funds? Run off with a senator's wife? I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

Captain Renault: [seeing a uniformed French officer talking non-stop to an Italian officer] If he ever gets a *word* in, it'll be a major Italian *victory*.

[Rick and Renault discussing Victor Laszlo's chances of escaping Casablanca]
Captain Renault: This is the end of the chase.
Rick: Twenty thousand francs says it isn't.
Captain Renault: Is that a serious offer?
Rick: I just paid out twenty. I'd like to get it back.
Captain Renault: Make it ten. I'm only a poor corrupt official.


Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.

Rick: And remember, this gun is pointed right at your heart.
Captain Renault: That is my *least* vulnerable spot.


That's all for now folks.

Who is happy? We are happy! Just how happy? Very happy! That's the way we're going to stay so knock on wood.

(and have a good day)

No comments:

Post a Comment