Sunday, February 22, 2009

Live Blogging the Oscars

I'm going to post my reactions to the Academy Awards tonight as they happen. How exciting!

12:01 - It was a good Oscars overall, no real surprises. But I can deal with that. I'm only pissed that Kate Winslet won. I'll have full reactions posted tomorrow.

11:58 - Slumdog Millionaire wins Best Picture. My favorite director (Spielberg) gets to hand the award to my favorite movie ever. How poetic. They brought the whole cast and crew on stage. It was a touching moment, especially with young Jamal and Salim there smiling their faces off.

11:47 - Spielberg presents one final Best Picture montage. Enough!

11:45 - Sean Penn is the man. Best Actor for "Milk". Totally deserved it and called out Prop 2 during his speech. "I'm proud to live in a country where an elegant man can become president." Word.

11:36 - And now I'm sad. Kate Winslet wins Best Actress. How lame is that? I swear she said "F- You, Academy" by mistake.

11:23 - Danny Boyle get Best Director. He bizarrely jumps up and down, and mentions that he promised he would jump like tigger if he won. I'm very happy.

11:15 - The Death Montage. Paul Newman, Bernie Mac, and Sydney Pollack will especially be missed.

11:07 - "Departures" from Japan wins Foreign Language Film. That's a surprise for sure. I'm sure it's good.

11:02 - A.R. Rahman wins TWO Oscars. What is the world coming to? One for Original Score in "Slumdog" and Best Song for "Jai Ho", which was the song and dance number at the end of the movie.

10:57 - Zac Efron and Alicia Keys keep saying A.R.'s name with a "ch". It is bothering me. I never thought I would see John Legend and A.R. Rahman singing a duet, which they did at the end of the compilation of Best Song nominees. Otherwise, the sequence was disappointing since M.I.A. was busy doing other things. Like giving birth. Pssh.

10:42 - Jerry Lewis is being given a humanitarian award. I'm embarrassed to say I don't really know who he is. He's a comedian who has done a lot of good for kids with muscular dystrophy. Oh, I know now. He was in the original "Nutty Professor".

10:35 - "Slumdog" also wins Editing proper. The movie did have some insane, hyperactive editing that gave it a whole lot of energy. Good job, Chris Dickens. I love the way Will Smith says "Slumdog Millionaire".

10:32 - "The Dark Knight" wins Sound Editing and "Slumdog" wins Sound Mixing. An Indian guy gets the Mixing award. And he thanks India! He has a nice jacket on.

10:26 - "Benjamin Button" deservedly wins the award for Visual Effects.

10:16 - "Man on Wire" wins the award and some guy runs up on stage. I don't know why. Oh, he was the guy that tightroped between the Twin Towers, who the movie was based off.

10:15 - For some reason, they picked Bill Maher to present the documentary award.

10:11 - Heath Ledger wins. His mother, father, and sister give a speech.

10:01 - Supporting Actor is next...I'm curious to see what will happen. The presenters are Alan Arkin, Kevin Kline, Joel Grey(??), Christopher Walken, and Cuba Gooding Jr.

9:58 - Hugh Jackman, Beyonce, Zac Efron, the girl from HSM, and finally the chick and guy from "Mamma Mia" were in long musical number that was a mix of songs from "Grease", "Moulin Rouge", "West Side Story", and of course "Mamma Mia". It wasn't very good, though it could have been. Apparently, it was choreographed by "Moulin Rouge" director Baz Luhrmann.

9:48 - The winner is the freaking Holocaust short film, Toyland. Seriously watch this sentimental piece of crap and tear your hear out. I knew it was going to win, but I didn't pick it on principle.

9:45 - James Franco, Seth Rogen, and Janusz Kaminski (Cinematographer for Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan) are in a pretty funny video. Franco and Rogen play their characters from "Pineapple Express". Now they are going to present the Live Action Short Award.

9:35 - Anthony Dod Mantle wins Cinematography for "Slumdog".

9:31 - Ben Stiller is wearing a Joaquin Phoenix beard to present Cinematography. And he's acting like Joaquin during Letterman.

9:28 - It was just a montage of romance in 2008 movies. Nice but forgettable.

9:25 - Oo la la. The guy from Twilight is presenting.

9:23 - "Benjamin Button" wins Makeup. I guess I underestimated voters. I thought they were smart enough to know that it was ALL VISUAL EFFECTS. Hellboy was a real task.

9:20 - As predicted, "The Duchess" wins Costume Design.

9:17 - "Button" wins Art Direction. I really hate it when two people win an award and one guy talks the whole time. I feel so bad for the other person who just kind of stands awkwardly, wanting to say something.

9:14 - Whoa! I forgot to predict Documentary feature and Documentary Short Subject! It’s going to be Man on Wire and The Conscience of Nhem En, respectively.

9:10 - "La Maison en Petits Cubes" wins the Animated Short Film award. I'm on a roll... The winner just said "Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto" and he's Japanese. Good god, that was funny.

9:06 - Best animated film goes to "Wall E". 2-4. No surprise.

9:05 - Jack Black and Jennifer Anniston present a montage of the Animated movies of 2008, which is set to the song "Attack of the 60-foot Lesbian Octopus" by Does it Offend You Yeah? The irony!

9:01 - The winner is Simon Beaufoy, for Slumdog! The sweep begins...

8:59 - Tina Fey and Steve Martin are presenting another award, for Adapted Screenplay. This is strange, as they usually go later.

8:57 - The Original Screenplay goes to Dustin Lance Black for "Milk". O for 2, but it was a really good script. And he gives a shout out to the LGBT community.

8:54 - Steve Martin and Tina Fey are funny presenters. What's new.

8:49 - Cruz said something in Spanish in her speech. I didn't pick up on most of it, but otherwise it was a nice, heartfelt speech.

8:47 - And the Oscar goes to Penelope Cruz. I'm happy, but I'm also 0 for 1.

8:43 - They brought on four past winners to present the supporting actress award. Interesting decision. And they are reflecting on each performance nominated this year. This is too boring. Aren't the Oscars long enough?

8:40 - Hugh Jackman is supposedly contractually obligated to mention Brad and Angelina at least five times tonight.

8:38 - Quite possibly the best Oscar opening of all time. Hilarious spectacle with cool song and dance sequences.

8:34 - The Oscars are making fun of the fact that "The Dark Knight" was snubbed. They are good sports.

8:33 - He's a good singer. Watch this on youtube tomorrow. This is a great performance.

8:32 - Hugh Jackman is kind of funny. "Next year I'm starring in a film called New Zealand".

8:28 - As a reminder, here are my predictions.

8:24 - Signs the economy is not in recession: "Madea Goes to Jail" made $41 million this weekend.

8:12 - Zac Efron just complimented Dev Patel. Respect.

8:10 - The Slumdog crew! All the kids made it. It's so cute. Youngest Jamal is wearing a tux. Amazing.

8:04 - Why are they interviewing Sarah Jessica Parker? Was she nominated? Not bloody likely.

8:03 - Great. More red carpet nonsense. At least Tim Gunn from Project Runway is there for his impeccable analysis.

8:00 - In other news, "Slumdog" has now grossed $98 million. Not bad for a movie that's half in Hindi with no big stars.

7:59 - I'm listening to "E-Pro" by Beck to pump me up. Only one minute left!

7:56 – Hey it’s Nathan Fillion! He’s in the new ABC show Castle. Looks decent.

7:51 - The day is finally here. I'm at home, on my couch. I just ate some great Indian food. And now I'm going to watch the Oscars.

3 comments:

Mr. Endres said...

How can you not automatically know who Jerry Lewis is? Shame on you, Kavi...

Gowtham said...

Nice time line posting - I didn't see the oscars but felt as if I saw it. Keep up :)

Kavi Pandey said...

Sorry Bryan. I do feel ashamed. And thanks Gowtham.

Post a Comment