Thursday, January 15, 2009

Roland Burris

Roland Burris, Blagojevich’s appointment to replace Obama in the United States Senate, was sworn into office today. Thus, Burris is now my new Senator. How do I feel about this?

1) Burris is a terrible candidate. He has lost many, many races, including a failed run for U.S. Senate (he never made it out of the primary). He won’t last more than two years. He’ll have a serious primary and general election opponent.

2) He is pretty egotistical. I don’t know his policy views too well, but I know that he thinks he is the big tuna. He freaking named his son and daughter Roland and Rolanda.

3) Blagojevich will be removed from office, but he and Burris got the last laugh. I found it fitting that Burris was sworn in with a huge grin on his face. Seriously, who would have dreamed that anyone would not only accept Blagojevich’s appointment, but would actively pursue it after Blagojevich was arrested? Not I, and definitely not Harry Reid.

4) Harry Reid has egg on his face. Seriously, while I don’t like Reid, I feel bad for the man because he took a leap and finally took a firm stance on something, only to have the unthinkable happen.

5) Reid and Durbin had no legs to stand on when they originally denied him his seat.

6) I am glad Burris was seated because I strongly believe in justice and the concept of “innocent until proven guilty.” Burris hasn’t done anything wrong, so there is no reason not to seat him. Actually, Blagojevich hasn’t even been indicted yet.

7) Hopefully this will lead to more states changing their laws and making it so governors cannot appoint replacement U.S. Senators. It is inherently undemocratic. There should be special elections, just like in the U.S. House. At least some progress can be made. Maybe appointments have to have been elected to statewide office before (sorry Caroline). Another possible step is to make it so that there is a special election, but until then there is a temporary appointed placeholder. Either way, this current system blows.

8) I am actually looking forward to seeing what kind of a Senator Burris is. I am kind of a geek.

9) Have a good day.

1 comment:

Mr. Endres said...

I'll make a comment, because it's about something everyone needs to realize.

America is not a democracy, it is a republic; the two systems are very different. You might feel a governor appointing a senator to be against the ideal of democracy, but that, quite literally, does not matter one iota.

Post a Comment