Thursday, April 2, 2009

Bruno Trailer is Here

Warning: This is Sacha Baron Cohen, so it's going to be vulgar.



I don't know about you, but I'm already tired of Borat-style mockumentaries. Some of these events look staged, like the bit with the soldiers and the Jerry Springer-style talk show. But I have to admit, I gave a huge laugh at, "How do you defend yourself against a man with two dildos?"

I don't think Bruno is going to make nearly as much money as Borat's $128 million domestic gross for two reasons:

A) People, like me, are tired of Sacha Baron Cohen running around the country and pranking unsuspecting common-folk. It was great in Borat because it was new and unexpected for everyone who had never seen Da Ali G Show. Now, it just feels stale and annoying.

B) I hate to say it, but Bruno's homosexuality may drive away certain segments of the population. But that's just the cynic in me. I certainly hope not.

What do you think?

5 comments:

Mr. Endres said...

It seems to me like it would be worth seeing roughly one time. Which means it won't make nearly as much money as Borat, which was worth seeing multiple times.

As for the homosexuality, I honestly don't think it will matter. More or less the exact same segments of the population that were pushed away by the content of Borat will be pushed away by the content of Bruno.

Kavi Pandey said...

You make a good point Endres

Atom said...

I think the only problem with your theory is, beside Bryan's points, the fact that people like to snicker. This kind of stupid humor will always get laughs. I know I laughed at the two dildos thing also. Will it be a quality movie? Hell no. Funny? Hell yes.

Kavi Pandey said...

I never said Bruno won't be funny, just that it won't have the same amount of uproarious humor as Borat did. We had never seen anything like the nude fight scene before. If Bruno has something similar, audiences will definitely snicker (good word) but they probably won't hurt themselves laughing like I did in Borat.

Borat was, in my opinion, both a quality film and funny. It peeled back the some of the subtle racism and other issues some Americans have.

Bruno might have the same type of message, but I feel like it will be less of a big deal than Borat was.

Atom said...

Okey doke. I agree thanks for clearing that up.

Post a Comment